DUE SUNDAY (MARCH 5TH) BY MIDNIGHT
- Read this article, here: https://electricliterature.com/diving-into-the-faery-handbag-on-fabulism-4b21505e2b9b#.ak8wewk6u
- Then trace how the author makes her argument (her use of sources, quotations, the structure of the essay, the language, etc.) in around 200-300 words. Post this response as a comment.
- After writing your own response, choose another classmate’s post to comment on. Evaluate this–tell us what you think they did well, could do better, whether you agree/disagree… that sort of stuff.
*** Come to class with an example of an argument that you admire. This can take the form of a video (speeches, advertisements…) or an actual article from the internet. Be prepared to present and discuss your choice in class.
Read this: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/10/black-mirror-nosedive-review-season-three-netflix/504668/
Afterwards, write your own review of this episode. Make a compelling argument for why or why not the reader should watch/like it. It’s up to you which you choose to do: persuade or dissuade. Around 200 words or so. Post as a comment to THIS post.
Writing Assignment Instructions:
- Read this movie review (“Arrival”) published in The New Yorker, here: CLICK ME
- Afterwards, read the assignment posted below. In a comment on this post, include your answers to the questions posed (numbered in order).
- OPTIONAL – For extra credit (brief, 3-4 sentences):
- Choose one of your favorite movies and write a brief review of it. Following your review, write an explanation of the decisions you made about what plot information could be included and what information could not be revealed.
- Include the extra credit review in the same post as your other previous responses.
Hooray! It’s your very first writing assignment. Congrats on getting through week two of school.
Read the article: “Why We Love Weird Fairy Tales” (http://lithub.com/why-we-love-weird-fairy-tales/#)
Afterwards, look back on the list of characteristics that are found in arguments (pp. 120-21 in your textbook – scanned copies of this are up on Moodle FYI), and point out a few that you think are represented in the article. You may also discuss any or some that you think are absent in the article. This will require a few brief examples from the article. Your posts should be 3-4 sentences in length.