DUE SUNDAY (MARCH 5TH) BY MIDNIGHT
- Read this article, here: https://electricliterature.com/diving-into-the-faery-handbag-on-fabulism-4b21505e2b9b#.ak8wewk6u
- Then trace how the author makes her argument (her use of sources, quotations, the structure of the essay, the language, etc.) in around 200-300 words. Post this response as a comment.
- After writing your own response, choose another classmate’s post to comment on. Evaluate this–tell us what you think they did well, could do better, whether you agree/disagree… that sort of stuff.
*** Come to class with an example of an argument that you admire. This can take the form of a video (speeches, advertisements…) or an actual article from the internet. Be prepared to present and discuss your choice in class.
Writing Assignment Instructions:
- Read this movie review (“Arrival”) published in The New Yorker, here: CLICK ME
- Afterwards, read the assignment posted below. In a comment on this post, include your answers to the questions posed (numbered in order).
- OPTIONAL – For extra credit (brief, 3-4 sentences):
- Choose one of your favorite movies and write a brief review of it. Following your review, write an explanation of the decisions you made about what plot information could be included and what information could not be revealed.
- Include the extra credit review in the same post as your other previous responses.
Take a minute to read this article: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/on-the-implausibility-of-the-death-stars-trash-compactor
After reading, consider the narrative tone of the piece. For example, the language used, what emotions it may have evoked in you. Did you find it funny? Think about what and how the article’s author accomplished this in terms of the language used.
Bring some ideas about this to class on Monday. Next week, we’ll start discussing writing styles, and why they’re important.