Afterwards, write your own review of this episode. Make a compelling argument for why or why not the reader should watch/like it. It’s up to you which you choose to do: persuade or dissuade. Around 200 words or so. Post as a comment to THIS post.
- Read “Chamber of Secrets: The Sorcery of Angela Carter” article for examining style: https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2012/10/17/chamber-of-secrets-the-sorcery-of-angela-carter/
- Blog/Journal Response: Discuss style and creative language throughout the article.
Here are a couple of examples of paper outlines. While they all vary in structure, the basic skeleton of building an outline is present in all of them.
Here’s an example of an MLA paper broken down by its formatting. It’s a useful tool to refer back to as a way of double-checking yourself.
Writing Assignment Instructions:
- Read this movie review (“Arrival”) published in The New Yorker, here: CLICK ME
- Afterwards, read the assignment posted below. In a comment on this post, include your answers to the questions posed (numbered in order).
- OPTIONAL – For extra credit (brief, 3-4 sentences):
- Choose one of your favorite movies and write a brief review of it. Following your review, write an explanation of the decisions you made about what plot information could be included and what information could not be revealed.
- Include the extra credit review in the same post as your other previous responses.
Take a minute to read this article: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/on-the-implausibility-of-the-death-stars-trash-compactor
After reading, consider the narrative tone of the piece. For example, the language used, what emotions it may have evoked in you. Did you find it funny? Think about what and how the article’s author accomplished this in terms of the language used.
Bring some ideas about this to class on Monday. Next week, we’ll start discussing writing styles, and why they’re important.
- On making counter-arguments: http://writingcenter.fas.harvard.edu/pages/counter-argument
- Purdue Owl argumentative essay: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/724/01/
- Purdue Owl MLA guide: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/